Academics » Related Services

Related Services


Description of Related Services


Related Services means developmental, corrective, and other supportive services that are required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from his/her instructional program. Your child’s Related Services may change from pre-school to school-age as children’s needs change as they get older. Related Services may be the only special education service given to your child, or they may be provided along with other special education services such as special class services. The following related services may be provided: 

The following related services may be provided:

Counseling means services designed to improve social and emotional functioning in the areas of appropriate school behavior, discipline, self-control, conflict resolution for students experiencing difficulty interacting appropriately with adults or peers, withdrawal or acting out, low self-esteem or poor coping skills which significantly interfere with learning. If, due to the unique needs of the student, the student requires services from a particular provider (e.g. guidance counselor, school psychologist, or social worker), the IEP must indicate this. 
Hearing Education Services means services designed to provide instruction in speech, reading, auditory training, and language development to enhance the growth of receptive/expressive communication skills. 
Speech/Language Therapy means services designed to address deficits in a student’s auditory processing (i.e. the way they understand sounds and language), articulation/phonological skills, comprehension, and use of syntax, pragmatics, voice production and fluency. 
Occupational Therapy means the planning and use of a program of purposeful activities designed to maintain, improve or restore adaptive and functional skills including, fine motor skills, oral motor skills, etc. in all educationally related activities.

Physical Therapy means the use of activities to maintain, improve or restore function including gross motor development, ambulation, balance, and coordination in various settings, including but not limited to, the classroom, gym, bathroom, playground, staircase, and transitions between classes. 
School Health Services means services provided by a school nurse or paraprofessional designed to address the specific health needs of a student as documented by the child’s physician to ensure a safe educational environment. 

Vision Education Services means services designed to provide instruction in utilizing Braille, Nemeth Code, large print, optical and non-optical low vision devices, and other skills necessary to attain academic, social, vocational and life adjustment skills, literacy and acquisition of information using tactile, visual and auditory strategies.


Orientation And Mobility Services means services designed to improve the student’s understanding of spatial and environmental concepts and use of information the student receives through the senses (i.e. sound, temperature, vibrations) for establishing, maintaining and regaining orientation and line of travel. This service is provided to students with visual impairments.

Parent Counseling and Training means assisting parents in understanding the special needs of their child, providing parents with information about child development, and helping parents to acquire the necessary skills that will allow them to support the implementation of their child's individualized education program. It is typically provided as part of the program to the parents of children in special classes with staffing ratios of 8:1:1, 6:1:1 and 12:1:4.

In the event that a Department of Education (DOE) provider is not available, the Office of Related and Contractual Services (ORCS) for District 75 will issue a transmittal to a contracted agency. If the agency is not available, the parent will be issued a RSA (Related Service Authorization) to allow a family to secure an independent provider paid for by the Department of Education. A Municipality List of Independent Providers and a Municipality List of NYC Department of Education Clinicians and Therapists Approved to Provide Related Services as Independent Providers will accompany the RSA. The Independent provider will come to the school, your home, or you might take your child to the practitioner’s office (Carfare reimbursement is available). The DOE provider who is serving your child as an independent can only serve your child before or after school hours. If you have any questions regarding the RSA process contact Sheila Simanowitz at 212-802-1535 for assistance.